What are cookies?
Cookies are files that can be downloaded to your device through web pages. They are essential tools for providing numerous services of the information society. Among other things, they allow a website to store and retrieve information about a user’s browsing habits or their device, and depending on the information obtained, they can be used to recognize the user and improve the service offered.
Types of cookies
According to who manages the domain from which cookies are sent and processes the data obtained, two types can be distinguished:
- Own cookies: Those sent to the user’s device from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself, from which the requested service is provided to the user.
- Third-party cookies: Those sent to the user’s device from a computer or domain that is not managed by the editor but by another entity that processes the data obtained through cookies. If these cookies are installed from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself but the information collected through them is managed by a third party, they cannot be considered as own cookies.
Regarding the period of time they remain stored in the client’s browser, cookies can be:
- Session cookies: Designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a web page. They are usually used to store information that is only of interest to keep for the provision of the service requested by the user on a single occasion (e.g., a list of purchased products).
- Persistent cookies: The data is still stored on the device and can be accessed and processed for a period defined by the cookie’s controller, which can range from a few minutes to several years.
Regarding the purpose for which the obtained data is processed, they can be classified into six types:
- Technical cookies: Allow the user to navigate through a web page, platform, or application and use the different options or services offered.
- Personalization cookies: Allow the user to access the service with some predefined general characteristics based on certain criteria on the user’s device.
- Analytics cookies: Allow the controller to track and analyze the behavior of users of the websites to which they are linked.
- Advertising cookies: Allow for the most effective management of advertising spaces.
- Behavioral advertising cookies: Store information on user behavior obtained through continuous observation of their browsing habits, which allows the development of a specific profile to display advertising based on it.
- External social network cookies: Used so that visitors can interact with the content of different social platforms (Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.) and are generated exclusively for users of these social networks.
Disabling and deleting cookies
You have the option to allow, block, or delete cookies installed on your device through the configuration of the browser options installed on your computer. By deactivating cookies, some of the available services may stop working. The way to disable cookies is different for each browser, but it can usually be done from the Tools or Options menu. You can also consult the browser’s Help menu, where you can find instructions. The user can choose at any time which cookies they want to work on this website.
You can allow, block, or delete cookies installed on your device through the configuration of the browser options installed on your computer:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge: http://windows.microsoft.com/es-es/windows-vista/Block-or-allow-cookies
- Mozilla Firefox: http://support.mozilla.org/es/kb/impedir-que-los-sitios-web-guarden-sus-preferencia
- Chrome: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/61416?hl=es
- Safari: http://safari.helpmax.net/es/privacidad-y-seguridad/como-gestionar-las-cookies/
- Opera: http://help.opera.com/Linux/10.60/es-ES/cookies.html
You can also manage the cookie store in your browser through tools such as the following:
Cookies used on https://thpinternational.org/
Below are the cookies being used on this portal, as well as their type and function. The cookies are associated with different services such as analysis, advertising, personalization, and technical functions. Third-party cookies such as Google Analytics and Facebook, among others, are included.
Given this information, the following actions are possible:
- Accept cookies: This notice will not be displayed again when accessing any page of the portal during this session.